It's possible that the Bark for Kids app may have been impacted by battery optimization settings on your child's Android device. Battery optimization settings exist on every device but where they are located on the device can vary based on the phone model and Android version. This article focuses on Android 9+ devices, which are typically most Android phones and tablets made within the last 1-4 years.
The good news is, the Bark Phone™ has these settings adjustments enabled by default.
If your child's device is a different type of Android than the Bark Phone, then follow these steps:
Watch this video to learn how to adjust Battery Optimization on Android 9+. If you'd like some additional tips — or if the video doesn't play — follow the step-by-step instructions written below.
Disable Battery Optimization for Bark Kids
On your child's phone or tablet, open the Settings app ⚙ > Apps & Notifications > Bark (enter your Bark password if prompted) > Battery > select Unrestricted.
On your child's phone or tablet, open the Settings app ⚙ > Apps & Notifications > Bark (enter your Bark password if prompted) > Advanced > Battery > Optimize Battery Usage or Battery Optimization > tap on All Apps from the drop-down list> scroll down and select Bark > choose Don’t Optimize.
- There may be another special option in Settings app ⚙ > Apps & Notifications > Bark (enter your Bark password if prompted) > Advanced > Battery > Background restrictions or Background limitations that you also want to disable to ensure Bark will run in the background.
Disable Mobile Data Optimization for Bark Kids
- On your child's phone or tablet, open the Settings app ⚙ > Apps & Notifications > Bark (enter your Bark password if prompted) > Mobile Data & Wi-Fi > enable Unrestricted data usage and Background data.
- You may also need to check another option in the Settings app ⚙ > tap Network & Internet > Data Saver > Unrestricted data > turn on Bark for Kids app so that it can still run in the background while Data Saver is on.
- Lastly, check if the default text-to-speech engine is set to Google in Settings app ⚙ > Accessibility > Text-to-speech > change to Google.
Still no luck?
Should the above not work, please see instructions for specific devices below:
- Settings adjustments on Huawei
- Settings adjustments on OnePlus
- Settings adjustments on Palm
- Settings adjustments on Pinwheel
- Settings adjustments on Samsung
- Settings adjustments on Sony
Need help or have additional questions?
We are happy to assist! Reach out to Bark Support, and we'll help every step of the way.