Apple requires the use of app-specific passwords when connecting Apple email accounts to third parties like Bark. The emails connected with this method end in @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com. This means that if your child's iCloud account ends in @gmail.com, for example, then you will connect the email to Bark via the Gmail connection rather than the iCloud email connection.
NOTE: Connecting the iCloud email to Bark only monitors emails sent and received — not iOS messages, photos, etc. To monitor an iOS device's texts, photos, and more, click here!
STEP 1: Enable two-factor authentication for the iCloud account.
To connect the iCloud email account to Bark, you will have to enable two-factor authentication for the child's Apple account. You can enable two-factor authentication by following the steps below on your child's iOS device:
- Go to Settings > [your name] > Password & Security.
- Tap Turn On Two-Factor Authentication.
- Tap Continue.
Now that you've enabled two-factor authentication on your child's iOS device, you can give it back to them. We're going to follow the next steps from a computer (easiest) or your own phone, whichever you prefer!
STEP 2: Log into your child's Apple ID account page with their login credentials.
To generate the app-specific password needed to add your child's iCloud email account to Bark, scroll down to Security.
- Under the Security section, you'll see App-Specific Passwords.
- Click on Generate Password.
- Type in Bark and then click Create.
- A long password will be generated on the next screen. This is what we need to connect the account to Bark!
- Highlight the password.
- Right-click and Copy the password, as seen below:
STEP 4: Return to your dashboard.
- Paste the password into the iCloud password field. Then click Connect.
You'll see the message below, indicating it has been successfully connected for monitoring.
You will also see it on your child's profile, along with all of your child's other connected accounts:
Need additional assistance getting set up?
If you have any questions, please contact us, and Bark Support will be there to help!