We've developed the Bark for Microsoft Edge extension for monitoring child browsing activity within Edge Chromium. This extension is not a filter — it does not prohibit traffic, but it will alert you to worrisome web browsing.
What I can expect to be monitored:
Web page titles and searches.
You can deploy our web monitoring extension to Microsoft Edge by following either method below:
Method A: User / Group Policy
- Log in to your Microsoft Admin Console.
- Finalize setup of the Chrome extension in O365.
- Make sure that you've deployed Microsoft Edge 77 or later to your students, if you haven't already.
- Then, follow these instructions to force install extensions on Edge: How to Deploy Extensions to Edge
- When prompted, enter the extension ID. You can find this on the Microsoft Add-Ons page for the extension -- it's the last part of the URL: pjbpapmfoaplcoaohhdfgdkffdfebmkd
Method B: Intune MDM
- In a new tab, log in to the O365 Device Management Portal.
- Select Devices – Windows.
- On the Configuration Profiles tab click Create profile.
- Give the configuration profile a Name.
- Enter a Description (optional).
- Choose Windows 10 as Platform.
- Choose Administrative Templates as Profile type.
- Click Create.
Open the settings tab.
- Select Edge version 77 and later from the dropdown menu.
- Search for Extensions (this gives an overview of all extension-related settings).
- Click on Control which extensions are installed silently.
- Select Enabled.
- Add the Bark extension ID. You can find this on the Microsoft Add-Ons page for the extension --it's the last part of the URL: pjbpapmfoaplcoaohhdfgdkffdfebmkd
- Once you've entered in the extension ID, click OK.
Assign the profile to a security group.
We also recommend disabling Incognito / InPrivate browsing on their web browsers and disabling "Guest Mode" on their web browsers within the O365 Admin Console.
How do I know it's working?
Once deployed, students will notice there is a Bark dog on the top right of their browser, and when they click into their browser settings, it will say it is "Managed by your organization."