Bark is an award-winning technology solution created by parents, for parents to offer a better, easier, and more effective way to keep children safer online.
In this article, you'll discover how to get started with Bark, how to access our community resources and support team, and how to be on your way toward keeping your child safe online.
NOTE: This article covers the first-time setup under the Bark Jr subscription plan.
Setup Checklist for Online Safety
2. Enable Parental Controls (block and filter content you never want them to access)
3. Set Healthy Screen Time Limits (using our customizable schedule)
A couple of things to know as you get started:
- Bark Jr includes screen time & web filtering for unlimited children and unlimited iOS, Android, and Chromebook devices.
- We recommend first setting up the devices that your child has access to, followed by connecting their shared devices.
- If you'd like to also monitor your child's text messages, photos, videos, and social media for potential problems (like bullying, self-harm, sexual content, or anything else that may be alarming), consider trialing our Bark Premium subscription plan instead! (You can always change from Premium to Jr at any time.)
Let's Get Started!
1. Set up Bark Parent/Guardian Account
- Add your children.
Select the device(s) that you know your children use.
Bark offers screen time & web filtering for Android, iOS, and Chromebook devices. If you'd like to add other types of devices (like computers or gaming consoles), consider the Bark Home add-on!
Add your payment information.
Payment information from a parent/guardian is required by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) to give Bark consent to monitor your children's devices. You will not be billed until the end of your trial. You can change your plan or cancel at any time!
2. Enable Screen Time & Web Filtering on Their Devices
Enable screen time and web filtering by installing the app for kids and teens on their devices. Follow our guides below to get them set up!
For Android: Install the Bark for Kids app on the child's device.
Download from bark.us/android (not the Google Play app store).
For iOS: Install the Bark Kids app on the child's device.
Download from the Apple App Store.
For Chromebook: Install the Bark for Chromebooks app on the child's Chromebook.
Download from the Google Play Store.
3. Set Healthy Screen Time Limits
You can manage your child's screen time schedule and web filtering rules at any time. Below we include some quick tips to get you started!
|Set a Schedule||
|Customize the Rules||
4. Set Alert Notification Settings
- Add emails to receive alerts (can include partner, spouse, or family member's emails).
- Add a US phone number if you'd like to receive text notifications for alerts.
5. Download the Parent/Guardian App
6. Explore your Bark dashboard! 🎉
Want to filter any in-home device?
Consider the Bark Home device as an add-on to your family's safety tools. Bark Home is a small piece of hardware that you connect to your home Wi-Fi router. Once activated, it allows you to apply web filtering and screen time rules to any internet device in your home (not just iOS and Android devices!).
Need help or have additional questions?
We are happy to assist! Reach out to Bark Support, and we'll help every step of the way.