Families occasionally get an alert asking them update their computers with Apple software. These updates will help us better monitor your child's iOS device! For example, you may have gotten this alert:
- If you don't already have the Apple software installed, you can install it by selecting the link in the message or in the alert.
- If you already have iTunes installed, let's update iTunes.
- Restart your computer. This helps the software get installed properly.
- While you're at it, check for updates to Windows.
NOTE: Be certain to restart your computer after the updates. Then, check for Windows updates again, as there may be more updates available to install.
- If you are still getting the message that you need to install Apple software, then it may mean you have the incorrect version of iTunes. Below we show you how to remove that version and install the correct version!
STEP 1: Uninstall the incorrect iTunes version.
iTunes is a pretty intricate application, and there may be several related components we will need to uninstall in a particular order.
Don't uninstall these components in a different order or only uninstall some of them. Doing so might have unintended consequences! After you uninstall a component, you might be prompted to restart your computer, but let's wait to do this until you're finished removing all of the components.
On Windows 10, you may find these applications in Settings > Apps and Features. On earlier Windows versions, you will find these applications in Control Panel.
Uninstall iTunes and its related software components in the following order (if present):
A. Uninstall iTunes.
B. Uninstall Apple Software Update.
C. Uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support.
D. Uninstall Bonjour.
E. Uninstall Apple Application Support 32-bit.
F. Uninstall Apple Application Support 64-bit.
G. Uninstall iPod Support.
STEP 2: Restart the computer.
This will ensure that the components are properly removed.
STEP 3: Download the correct version of iTunes.
Depending on which operating system version you have, you'll click one of the links below to download the correct version of iTunes.
- Download 64-bit iTunes for Windows 10 and 11 (Most common)
- Download 32-bit iTunes for Windows 10 and 11
- Download 64-bit iTunes for Windows 7 and 8
- Download 32-bit iTunes for Windows 7 and 8 (Least common)
Running into this message when downloading or installing iTunes?
|Potential Message #1||Potential Message #2|
|If running into the above, click on Open settings. On the window that appears, select one of the options that say you can download applications from Anywhere.||If running into the above, click on Continue installing from outside the Store.|
If all goes well, you will see a progress bar as you go through the prompts to install iTunes.
STEP 4: Wait for the installation to complete.
After some time, you will see that iTunes has successfully installed! Click Finish to close out of the installer.
STEP 5: Restart Your Computer
This ensures that the changes to the Apple software has taken effect on your Windows computer.
STEP 6: Re-Open the Bark Desktop Application
You can then continue with the rest of the iOS setup instructions!
Still no luck?
We're here to help! Please reach out to us with screenshots of the issue and the steps you've tried.